Sunday, October 18, 2009

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!

As most of you know October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. So many women are affected by this disease each year. I am sure that everyone has a story to tell about someone they know that has battled Breast Cancer and I want to share mine.About a year ago I started working with one of the Cardiologist at Mobile Infirmary. I had known his nurse before I started working with him and she is one of those memorable people that you just don't forget, her name is Charlene. Charlene and I would go every Wednesday to Monroeville, Alabama and have clinic at one of the offices up there. It makes it easier for the people that cannot drive all the way to Mobile to see their doctor. So we got to know each other more and more and became good friends. In April of this year Charlene was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I hated so bad to know that she was going to have to battle this horrible disease. Not that I would want to see anybody have to struggle through it , but especially not her. I knew that she was and still is a very strong person and I knew she could beat it. I also knew that she would have a long road ahead of her, but with all the supporters on her side she could do it. She had the tumor removed and started Chemotherapy in the beginning of the summer. She had a total of 8 treatments that she would have to take ( 4 of one and 4 of another).After the 2nd or 3rd treatment she started to loose her hair. She went through many treatments that were bad, but not horrible. After the first treatment of the second type of Chemo she knew that this one was going to be the worst. She even worked while taking her treatments! Even though many days she just couldn't make it she put forth a lot of effort. I cannot imagine taking Chemo and working. So for that Charlene I applaud you! Charlene has been such an inspiration to me. She is such a sweet and kind person who has done so much for me. She is a great person to work with as well. Thank you Charlene for all you have done for me, you will never know how much it has all meant to me !

Charlene is one of many that have fought this disease and I am sure she will not be the last. So to all you women who have fought it - Congratulations!



Please support the Cure for Breast Cancer!

No comments: